Three years ago, I decided to start a garden. After a job in Scotland fell through, I had no job prospects and instead entertained naive illusions of herbs, flowers and vegetables springing up at the merest touch of my green thumb and afternoons at farmers markets selling my produce to impressed buyers.

Never mind that I had very little experience gardening, I dove in with the enthusiasm inspired by an open calendar and no other plans.

I sectioned of little sections for different types of plants and especially loved the herbs that I planted — lavender, basil, rosemary and thyme.

Just as the plants started to sprout and push their way through the soil, a job appeared out of thin air. It was completely different from anything I had ever done before but I think they were as anxious to find someone as I was to start having an income.

So with little idea of what I was getting into, I accepted the job and subsequently abandoned my fledgling garden. I didn’t mean to, but with a job and other obligations, all my free time was suddenly eaten up until the neat rows disappeared under a tangle of weeds and the whole thing became a bit of an embarrassment.

That unexplained affection for gardening has stuck around, and I decided to give it another go this year. I don’t have a yard with a garden plot, but I do have a lovely little deck with lots of sunshine and plenty of space for pots overflowing with flowers and herbs.

So I started early this year, because again, I was so excited about it.

I bought little cardboard planters and filled with me soil and gently covered the seeds. For some reason, I didn’t think it was important to keep the seed packets and the moment I threw them away, I forgot which seeds were planted where, but I figured that was part of the surprise, right?

I was amazed at the progress of my little plants. By the end of the first week, they were starting to sprout and by the end of two weeks, many of them had taken of and were easily over four inches long.

It didn’t take me too long to realize that the rapid growth wasn’t a good thing and that they were probably starving from lack of sunlight. So I started moving them around my apartment throughout the day to catch the most sun possi-ble. They would sit on my bed in the morning hours and then in the afternoon I would move them under the window on the other end of the house. It helped a little, but between lack of light and neglecting to water them regularly, I’m afraid they have always looked rather sickly.

I may be one of the few people that is secretly a little relieved at Worthington’s watering ban. I’ll put out a bucket to catch rain water and hopefully manage to keep a few little plants alive through the summer, but other than that, the rest of my gardening will have to wait until we have more water.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Comments are closed.